Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Celebrity BS

On a recent weekend the world came alive with all the talk and buzz about the death of Whitney Houston. The next weekend brought more talk and buzz while they buried her. UGH! Sure I am sad for her family, but beyond that I just don't give a shit. This is not the popular thing to say I am certain, but I have never been the popular one anyway.

Many people are blaming Bobby Brown for her downfall or for not rescuing her or whatever. Maybe he didn't help her much, but the dude was messed up for a long time too -- from what I understand. How on earth could one messed up person be expected to be functional enough to save another messed up person? Not to mention the only way someone can save someone else from addiction is if the addict WANTS TO BE CLEAN to begin with! The reality here is that WH made her own choices -- no one held her down and forced her to do drugs, no one poured alcohol down her throat and no one made her pop pills or whatever. She was an adult with a mind of her own and she made poor choices. As do we all at some point or another.

Years ago when WH became a star, I was smitten with the sound that was she, and I ate up all the sweet -- girl next door stuff we were all being fed about how wonderful, righteous, good and yadda-yadda-yadda she was. Maybe she was at first, but watching her -- she fast became one of those stars who seemed to forget her humbleness AND those that listened to her and spent their money thereby helping skyrocket her to fame and fortune... I was disheartened. For me, WH was the first big celebrity let-down for me and from there I began to stop caring so much about celebrities.

I would go so far as to say that WH was a bigger let-down than say Madonna was. After all, the UN-virgin was never portrayed as wholesome from the get-go, so her becoming a larger than life snot that appeared to scorn those who made her famous by adoring her work was not a let-down and certainly not a surprise. She's still truckin' along and seems to have given up her bad-girl ways, but she is still so above it all that I wouldn't be surprised if her pedestal got knocked out from under her one of these days.

Michael Jackson was so full of himself that I lost respect for his so called genius long before he was accused of being a pedophile. Nowhere does it say that genius has to be accompanied by lunacy or that people need to feed that mentality! MJ may not have been found guilty but I have to say... If you don't put yourself in the situations  that could compromise you, you won't get accused of the behavior. He went on TV and as much as said he saw no harm in certain behaviors and admitted to certain behaviors that would have gotten just about anyone else in a load of trouble! Here again, I felt bad for his family, especially his kids, because they lost their father. When he died I was not all broken up about it, though. They didn't call him Whacko-Jacko for nuthin'...

Years ago I quit watching Entertainment Tonight and other shows like it. They showed me -- as a young mother then --  that they had no idea how to focus on truly important things. Celebrities want to be famous and then they want their anonymity back. They want to go to the store without being bothered yet they make all manner of effort to be seen and noticed. They want their private lives private, but they air their dirty laundry for the world to see. Generally, they are not people I care to worry about or follow their antics because I believe there are better, more important people to pay attention to. All in all, in the grand scheme of things people like WH, MJ and countless other celebrities are not the real story. The media focuses on them for all the wrong reasons and those who should be getting attention often barely get notice.

I am not callous and unfeeling. Someone talked about on the evening news that died can bring me to tears. Sweet grandparent looking types pictured in the obituaries squeeze my heart. Children who die for any reason make me cry like a baby. Death is sad and painful and I have been to funerals of enough loved ones to know.

Why do you suppose society as a whole values celebrities so much more than they are worth?

4 comments:

  1. You know Darling,

    I absolutely agree with this post... I don't give a flying fig about these people either but the kid that got hit by a... or that Grandpa that helped his... the woman down the street... these are the stories that I'll cry about.

    Our society has changed, and many have been brought up by the boob tube, ads are telling us how to feel and how to behave and take more pills! The people on the screen, regardless of their private lives are a part of OUR lives wether we want them to be or not, thanks to the media. The TV is accepted and the norm. Sad huh?

    My lipstick is in a smudge... time for a touch up! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Momma - I too hate all the hype with "celebrities" deaths. A lot of celebs self-destruct,despite having comfortable life styles.Their own selfish choice. I care about those who through no fault of their own die before their time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I am not the only one... It is sad how the media is so much a part of our life and it will only get worse. I wonder what it will take to make people turn it around...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, and said as much to several people. Each and every one looked at me like I had two heads! Glad to know others agree!

    ReplyDelete