Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas...

Well, after a month of planning, hiding and wrapping super top secret surprises, the unwrapping was over in just a few short minutes -- shocking I know. While they all got pretty much what they asked for, their response is somewhat underwhelming -- as always. Let's just say I am not holding my breath for any actual thank you's from them... In spite of the fact that they have all been taught proper manners, apparently there is no need to make us parents feel like we made the grade in any way. They all do take the time to send thank you notes BY SNAIL MAIL to their grandparents and others who took the time to send them presents. So I suppose that is something.

The biggest hit of Christmas day came from D and G-pa for the kids.Once we figured out how  to get them all up and running, we haven't really seen them since they got their very cool electronic devices. Kindles and I-pods I cannot compete with at all. I may need to invest in a bull-horn to get their attention! It is amusing watching my youngest running around photographing everything in sight with the I-pod! Naturally CC wants to put music on hers, and that will be fun to watch. Up till now, she has had a little cd/radio in her room with a stack of Tom Chapin and other little kid cd's. Hubster and I both are very curious to see what type of music she will be interested in. Her sibs are all different in their likes. KC is all about country and a little bit of dance/pop. EC is all about Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc... TC is into rock and roll/heavy metal.

I think if I didn't have kids that I could do without this holiday. Unless I buy for myself, I don't get anything that is remotely related to anything I would want. So it all seems really pointless. There is no fun in buying for myself. Hubster wraps all my purchases and the kids all think I am surprised, but it is a ruse. On Christmas, I am the only one in the house without surprises. Buying for the kids in this day and age is harder every year. Technology being what it is today, everything is very expensive. It makes gift giving an even more daunting task than ever!

If I could get away with just decorating and having a few gatherings through the whole season, it would be far more rewarding. The one gathering we do have is the best part of the season for me. Having friends and neighbors over and getting to know better those we don't know well is really a nice way to enjoy the holiday and I would go so far as to say it has far more meaning. I guess that will have to wait until the kids are grown. Meanwhile, I suppose I will have to continue making Christmas be everything everyone else wants it to be, just as I have for years and years.

Don't get me wrong, I had a nice Christmas -- I just think that with aging, I have very different ideas of what things mean for me and to me and how I prefer to experience it all. I wonder if I have just become an old fuddy duddy? YIKES!

I hope all of you had a wonderful Holiday, whatever you celebrate. Cheers to a New Year -- 2012 HERE WE COME!

2 comments:

  1. "Aging" should not be mentioned :) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aging? Did I say that word? I must have been delusional at the time! See what all these kids have done to me? LOL!

    Cheers to a fantastic 2012! I hope you post New Years photos. We were looking at the Madeira web page the other day and WOW! Beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete