Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Thoughts on the death of OBL...

CONTRARY to the post I wrote late on May 1st, I am not inclined, as a rule, to celebrate the death of anyone. Death is sad and hard and it hurts. No matter who it is who has died, that person had a family who loved them -- warts and all. I did not party in the streets like so many around the country, but I was satisfied, maybe even a bit elated that the job had finally been done.

Osama bin Laden was a man who became a monster. A man who openly declared war on humanity and did irreparable harm. To what end? No one truly knows the mind of a sicko BUT surely to be such a person he must've been completely scrambled in the brains.

Given the breadth of his reach and how much strife he caused, I have a hard time feeling any remorse over his death. I think that his death brings a closing to an ugly chapter in history. Same as Hitler. Certainly the world is a better place without these kinds of people. What is unclear and really shocking to me, is how their mental illness' were not recognized and addressed BEFORE they ever got the chance to exact their psychotic behavior on large portions of the world.

If the death of OBL is a good thing, (and I believe it is) then I hope the US can move forward now that we have succeeded in finally achieving this goal. I am constantly reminded of the hypocrisy that is America. I love my country, but I do not understand it. The standards we set for ourselves and those we set for others are not generally the same and quite often are in conflict with each other. I believe quite vehemently that if GWB had not allowed himself to be distracted with revenge in Iraq, the OBL goal would have been accomplished long ago. We were spread far to thin to get the job done effectively. Iraq needed to be dealt with but perhaps not when and how it was. Then again, would the repercussions of the death of OBL have been worse than the predictions of retribution now? From all I hear on the news, he had essentially become irrelevant beyond being an iconic figurehead in the organization he started. It seems that if he really had lost his true authority, then in some ways we had already won against him. The invisible man surely had a hard time wielding power over his minions from afar.

On September 11, 2001, I was at home with my 2 little ones. My phone rang and it was my friend DK calling to tell me to turn o the tv. She knew me well enough to know I had kids cartoons on for them and I was listening to DirecTV music while eating breakfast. We watched together in horror as the second plane hit. It was all quite surreal, until we heard about the plane in DC. They were not positive if the Pentagon was the target, though I am betting they were pretty sure. There was confusion about the other plane that eventually crashed in PA and it was unclear if there were other planes set to crash into the White House or US Intel sites in DC. One of which my Hubster worked in at the time. That is when I became somewhat panicky. I got a hold of him at work and he said they weren't letting them leave yet. After that the phone lines were impossible to get a dial tone so until he walked in the door, and until there was certainty that no other planes had been compromised, I was in quite a state. To say I was relieved when he got home is an understatement. My sadness and horror at the fact that this had happened here in America was no less than the next person. I too felt the call for revenge that resonated through the country.


Now that the euphoria is dying down, I wonder how we proceed from this point. I imagine whatever we do we will need to tread lightly and with extreme caution.

5 comments:

  1. "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." - Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wish death upon anyone...well, almost anyone excluding OBL the twisted monster and Mugabe the wrinkly brainless monster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I saw that quote the other day on someone's FB status and loved it! =]

    I hear ya Joe!! Glad to have you back up and running again!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Momma! I wanted to let you know that A)I tried to send you a message about the paypal thing and don't know if it worked and B) I did not forget that you bestowed me an awesome award - I'm just superass slow!
    I'll be sending love your way very soon!@!
    ~Wendie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendie! I did not get a message BUT I did see your reply on your blog comments, so i am giving it a try. I used your link so I hope you get the credits!

    I am superass slow too, I haven't come up with the 15 yet! LOL! So, my list of who I picked is far from ready! Thanks!! =]

    ReplyDelete