Friday, April 8, 2011

What I am reading... UPDATE

What I am reading

OK, so I finished Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand and it was an amazing read. What those in POW camps suffered during WWII was awful. I have read much in the past about the Holocaust, but I had never read much about the other side of the war. The Japanese POW camps were no better than the German counterparts and in some ways maybe worse. No part of WWII can be categorized as trivial in my eyes. It was a war that I hope we never endure again, but sadly I don't believe we will be able to prevent it forever.

The main story revolves around Louis Zamperini and what his experiences were. This amazing man survived the crash of a B-24 Liberator with 2 others from the plane. The 3rd man passed away after about a month at sea. Louie and the pilot were 47 days at sea. Their lifeboat carried them about 2 thousand miles from the crash. When they finally found land, they were very close to getting to an island and hiding out, but it was not meant to be. A Japanese ship saw them and they were intercepted. Capture landed them in various POW camps, each worse than the one before. They were not listed with the RED CROSS, so their families were told they were dead after 1 year MIA. Of note here is that their Mother's did not believe they were dead. They just had that feeling -- the one you can't explain, but you feel in your soul.

I am amazed at the atrocities men suffered in camp and further amazed that anyone was able to survive it! It takes a lot out of you just to survive war and for a POW to survive after a severe lack of food and water, living in filth, and regular beatings I know I could not. I would have curled up and died as soon as possible.

I believe that everyone ought to read about the men and women of WWII from all sides. In my schooling there was far to little education about this war and I never had a healthy respect for it until I was over 30. That is sad!

This book both broke my heart and made me feel especially fortunate to be here. I won't tell more of the story because I believe that the book cannot be related even close to what it deserves. All I know is I personally am glad I read it and though it is not my usual reading material it touched me in many ways.

I hope you will read it. L.H. wrote this book extremely well. I had trouble putting it down. I laughed, I cried, I got angry and it was so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment