Friday, March 25, 2011

What I am reading...

I just began the book UNBROKEN, by Laura Hillenbrand.

I absolutely loved Seabiscuit's story as a kid and rider of horses. When L.H. wrote Seabiscuit, I was equally excited and worried. Until you read a book for yourself, you just don't know how you feel about it. Reviews mean little to me as a reader. I have read reviews for books (and movies for that matter) that were glowing, yet I thought the praise was unwarranted. Same has happened in the reverse. So... Reviews by others I use for interest only. I decide on my own what I like and why -- which is how it ought to be I.M.H.O.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the writing style of L.H. and when I happened upon Unbroken in the bookstore recently, I plopped it in my already overflowing basket. It is early in the read and our main man Louis "Louie" Zamperini has been called up with the rest of the flying team he trained with. They are headed out in their "Flying Coffin" aka B-24 Liberator, dubbed "Superman".

Thus far I have enjoyed coming to know the character that is Louie Zamperini. In fact, I think I would love  to meet this man. Obviously I doubt that will happen, but if he is written accurately, he would be an amazing person to listen to.

If you have read this book or are planning to -- please let me know what you think, as I'd love to see what others come away from it with.

Editor's note:
A link has been removed that was irrelevant to the book.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura Hillenbrand posted this link to an article/book review posted on a blog today.

    http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2011/07/the-improbable-lives-of-louis-zamperini.php

    ReplyDelete