Friday, January 28, 2011

MEAN parents

The FB feed of a local radio station brought up the topic of being a "MEAN" parent. The reality is that far to few parents take the time anymore. We are all so scheduled down to the second every day that we often miss the important stuff! My Mom was not my friend, she always said it was not my right that she be my friend only that she be my Mom, which was much more important. This same woman, who was tough on me, often thinks I am too tough on my kids! What a hoot that is to me. Nowadays, and really this is true for each new generation, you need to be even tougher! There are more and bigger obstacles in the world to navigate all the time. If not me, then who will prepare my kids for those and all the new things that will certainly come down the road when it is their turn to be MEAN? The hardest lesson learned as a parent is the one that reminds you regularly that being a parent is not easy and it really is a job that you have to work at and grow with your kids doing it every single day. You cannot quit and you cannot get fired, there are no sick days and no vacation days, the pay sucks but the benefits are endless!


I was kind of hoping her post would generate much more conversation, but maybe it was the wrong time of night for that. Anyway, using a quote that has been floating around for a while the dj posted the following:

103.3 KLOU My parents were MEAN to me when I was a kid. They made me do chores, go to church & school. They gave me a curfew, suggested I get a job and work for the things that I wanted. They insisted that I do my best at school, at my job; to take pride in my work. I grew up with morals, a good work ethic; respect for the law,... and my elders. I thank God everyday for my MEAN parents. Copy and paste if you agree!!
~CC~


    • 103.3 KLOU I'm going through a situation right now where I'm not feeling very nice, but in my heart I know I'm doing the right thing.
      ~CC~

      Yesterday at 3:31pm · 


    • Me: My parents were MEAN!! and now, I am MEAN too! =]
      Yesterday at 3:35pm ·  · 1 person

    • 103.3 KLOU: You don't appreciate it until you are a parent, Trisch.
      ~CC~

      Yesterday at 3:48pm · · 2 people

    • Leslie: I have always loved reading this! And now that my son is 22, I can appreciate my "mean" parents because I raised him from the same blue print, and all of his life, I got nothing but compliments for raising him the right way!! Yesterday he recieved a promotion on his job after only 8 months...his bosses and the elderly loves him!! But you must start when they are little and be consistant. The pay off in the end is the reward!
      Yesterday at 4:54pm ·  · 

    • Me: You are very right about that! My daughter is in college but we had a really hard time making it through High School... Do what ya gotta do and don't look back. =]
      23 hours ago · 

    • 103.3 KLOU: I told my daughter that I wanted to be her friend as well as her mother, but that if there was a situation where I could only be one of them, I'd always be the Mom first. I'm the only one she's got, so I have to be that for her.
      ~CC~

      19 hours ago ·  · 1 person


      Editor's Note:
      Some minor edits have been made to this post.

1 comment:

  1. Cliche Time!! sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind (Even though I feel I was too soft with mine) :)

    ReplyDelete