Thursday, October 21, 2010

reading material

I have been totally derailed in my Historical reading of late! I still want to read Andrew Jackson, but the reading material I was into leading up to its turn in the pile was pretty intense. The Team of Rivals was such a heavy book and then I was caught up in the fascinating tales of Historical discoveries in Israel and that too was heavy in altogether different ways.

I have been reading some of my fluff fiction for a less intense occupation of my time, until last night. I began The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I think it may be more than I was expecting. Only 2 chapters in and I am hooked. I like the writing style, I like that the author writes about places that I am unfamiliar with to any great extent, which means I'll get to look up stuff!

I was completely taken aback by a lone page in the front of the book, so I have pasted the text here:

Biography

Stieg Larsson, who lived in Sweden, was the editor in chief of the magazine Expo and a leading expert on antidemocratic right-wing extremist and Nazi organizations. He died in 2004, shortly after delivering the manuscripts for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

How very sad that this man died so young and was not able to enjoy the successes of his works!

So, for a bit, I am onto the trilogy by Stieg Larsson and look forward to them all. Andrew Jackson is not going anywhere, just delayed again! In looking for the links to place here, I have also learned there is a movie of the first book. Might just have to check it out too!

Anyway, with good books and good wine you cannot go wrong, no matter the topic or genre. CHEERS!

2 comments:

  1. Momma, my gf is swedish and introduced me to all 3 Stieg Larsson's films (with subtitles).Very good indeed. She also had the books but in Swedish and I'm not yet fluent - but am trying. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished book one Joe and I am HOOKED!!! Get the English ones, without delay! You have plenty of time to learn the language!!!

    ReplyDelete